Sunday, January 8, 2017

#ShelfLove: 8, the Untold Story by Michael Mullin

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518DeehKVmL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgIllustrated by John Skewes
With Additional Art & Design by Jim Valeri

The graphic novel adaptation of the cult-hit story "8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf," published as one of three stories in "TaleSpins" by Michael Mullin. When their 8th roommate starts acting weird, the seven dwarves nickname him "Creepy" and banish him to the cottage basement. From there he affects the Snow White story we all THOUGHT we knew.





My Thoughts: I first encountered the story of the 8th dwarf when I reviewed TaleSpins for a book tour. Out of the three stories in that set, the "8th Dwarf" was my favorite. So when I learned that there was a comic version of the story, I knew that I had to get it. After two years of purchasing it, I finally got to read it and I highly enjoyed it!

Unlike the original story, this was not told in verse. It was told in a comic book style with the speech bubbles and graphics. It still contained its dark humor and quirkiness. 

What I enjoyed the most were the extras that the book contained. Between the pages, excerpts from made-up articles and advertisements were inserted. These were quite entertaining to read, especially the magazine ones. The use of puns, symbolism, and analogies made the extras very creative. 

The illustrations were also well done. I do wish that they were in color, but the drawings were cute. They were in black and white with excellent use of shading and highlighting.  I like how the 8th dwarf, Creepy, was modeled after Marilyn Manson and Professor Snape. It was a perfect way to portray his character for he contrasted the other seven dwarfs drastically. 

Overall, I am glad that I finally read this comic version of a fun story. The illustrations were great and the humor was spot on. I rate it:

    






This book counts for the #ShelfLove Challenge. 

Shelf Love Challenge 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment