Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year 2015!!! Looking back on 2014

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/1848769-bigthumbnail.jpg

Wow!! 2014 sure flew by at lightning speed! That's what happens when you're having fun!

This past year was a very blessed one for me since I got to check off the number one thing on my bucket list: visit Italy.







2014 was a year were I made a lot growth in my dance. I've attended many workshops that taught me the different styles of Egyptian dance. I also got to perform for the first time outside of my state, both in Kansas and in Italy. Attending these workshops and traveling have really helped me develop into a better me.

Though so much has happened in my personal life, I was able to accomplish my reading goal of 75 books. 

According to Shelfari, I read 79 books. Woo hoo!!! 
And here I thought I hardly read with my hectic schedule.

Here are the books that I rated 4.5 or 5 (click on title for review):

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (scared the beejeezes out of me)
TaleSpins by Michael Mullin (Three fun re-tells of fairy tales. The 8th Dwarf was my favorite)
Matilda by Roald Dahl (Can't believe I didn't read this when I was young. I love all the bookish quotes in this one)
The Trap by Andrew Fukuda (Last book in The Hunt trilogy and the ending was completely unexpected. Left me with my mouth hanging)
I Don't Wanna Be an Orange Anymore by Hank Kellner (Funny account that reads like a memoir but isn't)
Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay (An interesting and great re-telling of Beauty and the Beast)
Honor and Innocence: Against the Tides of War by Glen Thomas Hierlmeier (A very sad love story that broke my heart at the end)
Hunger by B.L. Wilde (Second book in the Seductors series. It's an erotic book so only for those who are 18+ and want a steamy read)
Five Glass Slippers by Anne Elisabeth Stengl, Elisabeth Brown, Emma Clifton, Rachel Heffington, Stephanie Ricker, Clara Diane Thompson (Loved, loved, loved this one. 5 different re-telling stories of Cinderella. I can't wait for the next book on Beauty and the Beast!)
Manga Classics: Les Miserables (A gorgeous manga that captured Victor Hugo's story very well)
Perdition House Part 1 by Bonnie Edwards (Another 18+ book that has ghosts. It was wonderfully written. I am looking forward to the second book in the series)
The Tesla Gate by John D. Mimms (Great suspense book that had me crying a few times)
The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (A very cute children's book that had me smiling throughout)
Thirty-Two Going On Spinster by Becky Monson (A funny story that I could easily relate to)
A Portrait for Toni by Annette Lyon (This surprised me how much I liked it)



Wow, that was quite a few!

What I've noticed that I had a challenge with my reads in 2014 was that I hardly read books that were from my TBR pile. Ninety percent were books for review. -__-  I need to change that.

My new goal for 2015 is to NOT accept more than 3 books per month for review. I really want to concentrate in tackling my TBR pile. Wish me luck!!!

And now...Thank you all for making my blog a success. I have enjoyed sharing with you all my book reads as well as interacting with you. You have all made my book blogging experience an enjoyable one.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year! 
I hope 2015 will be blessed with many positive possibilities!

Here's to a new year!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to You, Vonnie!! Sounds like you had an excellent year in reading and blogging, which is wonderful. Also, visiting Italy and improving your dancing skills is another fabulous achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, chica! I am highly looking forward to what 2015 brings :)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope 2015 will be even more fantastic ^^ and that you will see others dreams becoming true and creating new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Miki! I hope yours is blessed as well!!!!

      Delete
  3. Great job!
    79 books is still really good.
    I thought Anna Dressed in Blood was just OK. I don't believe I have read any of the others.
    I always try not to accept more than 4 review books per month and always end up with at least 6! Sheesh, guess I just need to learn to say no, but there are so many good books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the audio version of Anna Dressed in Blood. Maybe that made a difference?

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I think that is a great goal. Last year I did exactly that and really enjoyed it. I made a goal to not accept too many review requests. We all need to take more time to read what we want!

    Good luck! And great job on reaching your goal of 75, I didn't quite make mine. I only got 69 out of 75. But there is always 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 69 is still a good number! I hope you reach your goal this year though!

      Delete