Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Hops, 5/24/13

Ay...what a busy week it has been for me! I have not been able to do much reading nor keep up with my blog. Well, I'm back doing the Friday Hops :)
Book Blogger Hop: May 10th -16th

 
This hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Every week participants answer a question and then visit other blogs participating. The purpose of the hop is to give bloggers the chance to meet new bloggers, get to know one another better, and get new followers. This week's question is:

Have you ever been to BEA, and if so, do you recommend attending? Any good advice for first-time attendees?  

A: No, I have never been to BEA but I wish to go someday. I hear such great things from those that do go. The only big book event that I go to is Los Angeles Times' Festival of Books. I'm not sure if this festival is anything like BEA, but I love going there because of all the authors, books, free stuff, and entertainment.



Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice.


The Stone Guardian by Theresa McClinton

Beginning:
 
" 'All right, let's get the formalities over with before we begin.' Dean Nelson shifted through the paperwork scattered across the table. 'Patient identification number A692. Age, seventeen. Mother, unknown. Father, unknown. No living relatives.' He rubbed his bearded chin. 'Hmm, that's unfortunate. Name, Ashley --;' He flipped back through the case file. 'No last name.' "
 

Page 56
 
" 'What are you? Some kind of doctor?' The swollen, red skin throbbed and itched. Her pride was strong, but the fear of infection in a third-world country was stronger."


My thoughts: Well, the opening for sure grabbed my attention because it makes you believe that the main character is either crazy or just has major issues. I'm currently reading this for review and so far I'm enjoying it.
 

8 comments:

  1. Yes getting free books and stuff would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this book, but it looks great!
    Thanks for sharing!

    My BBF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely grabs at you and pulls you in!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The BEA is similar. Authors and books are there and books are free. Not sure about the entertainment.

    This sounds like a fun event.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope anyone that attends writes a blog about BEA , It's a recent discovery for me.I'd love to hear someone's experience =D

    new follower hopping by :)I'm hoping looking through all of your past reviews that maybe i can get a taste of what type of books you like.I always love getting any idea of what others tastes are. Hope your weekend is going well.

    hope i can see you back at either one of my blogs :)

    Guinevere

    http://twinjabookreviews.blogspot.com

    http://yamulticultural.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Vonnie!

    Oh, I'd LOVE to be able to go to the L.A. Book Festival!! And to BEA, as well!! And to all the book fairs in existence!!!! Lol.

    But I'm seriously planning to attend the Miami Book Fair. It's right here in downtown Miami. I'd be una idiota if I didn't go! Y me voy a comprar unos cuantos libros!! Me voy a divertir bastante tambien!!

    "The Stone Guardian" sure sounds interesting!! I like the opening, as well as the quote from page 56. I wonder if the girl on the cover is some sort of super heroine. I'll investigate further!

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my BBH post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sure piqued my curiosity! thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog too! enjoy BEA!

    p.s. following you now on GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your excerpts made me curious....and a little creeped out...lol.

    Thanks for sharing...and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete