Sunday, October 28, 2012

Review: If Teacups Could Talk by Emilie Barnes

Sharing A Cup of Kindness with Treasured Friends

Synopsis: For hundreds of years, "Come for tea" has been another way of saying, "Come, let's share a little bit of our lives together." Quietly and without threat, this inviting phrase calls us out of ourselves and into special relationships with others.

My thoughts: I am absolutely in love with this book! This was a gift from my belly dancing mama last month when the man I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with broke my heart. It has taught me the importance of tea and what it means to share a moment of "celebration" with those you really care about.

What makes this book very unique is the great things that it has: tea history, importance of love and sharing with friends and family, tea recipes, food recipes to accompany the tea, and lessons of self love. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"It's not the tea that makes teatime special, it's the spirit of the tea party.
"It's what happens when women or men or children make a place in their live for the rituals of sharing. It's what happens when we bother with the little extras that feed the sould and nurture the senses and make space for unhurried conversation. And when that happens, it doesn't really matter what fills the cups of holds the liquid."
 
* * *
 
"Tea takes time--and that's part of the magic. You can't hurry it without losing something vital. The act of making and drinking tea forces us to slow down--and I truly believe our bodies and spirits are desperate to slow down from the frantic pace our culture sets for us today."
 
* * *
 
"Humans are beautiful and breakable, like china cups...yet we are also strong and resilient. And unlike my cups, humans can heal and grow and move beyond disaster. We can reach out to one another in courage and comfort."

Oh, there are many more wonderful sentences in this book. If you like tea or simply like the time to get together with people to share conversations, then I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment