Friday, September 14, 2012

Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Synopsis: Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup. He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for a hundred years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards. And in his case, different can be deadly.

My thoughts: This is the fourth book in the Harry Potter series and so far it is the best book. It is definitely much longer than the first three and it’s very “grown up” compared to the others. Things really get serious and things really begin to happen.
Evil is immediately introduced in the book. First, it opens up with how the Riddles were killed off by a mysterious man. Then, Harry Potter has a vision of Lord Voldermot killing an innocent Muggle and wakes up in pain from his scar. Next, the Death Eaters attack the wizards and the few Muggles in attendance at the International Quidditch Cup and the Death Mark is spotted in the sky. Last, Harry Potter gets chosen to be the fourth Triwizard champion, which shows that somebody is out to kill him.
I was amazed on how dark and serious this book got. I was so used to the cute, innocent, and silly happenings from the first three books that reading this one made my mouth drop a few times. The subject matter of this book did not stop me from reading it. In fact, it hooked me in even more and made me feel more connected to the characters.
Of course, not all was dark. There were many funny moments in this book. I laughed at Fred and George’s crazy acts, and I loved how they “accidently” dropped a candy in front of Dudley. I giggled when Hagrid tried to take care of the screwts and tried so hard to look good for Madame Maxine. Also, I found it hilarious that the house elf, Winky, becomes a drunkard.  All these funny moments were great ways in living up this book.
As I keep reading the series, I find myself falling in love with it even more. I do admit that this book was a little long and I do dread at the fact that the next book is even longer. But…I can’t wait to get started on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix!

1 comment:

  1. Something that I really love about this series is that not only do the children mature as the books go on, but so does the plot and language. You can see them mature from middle grade reads to YA... I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete